Passport Application For Kids

This page provides the instructions for how to apply for a passport for minors under the age of 16. If a kid needs to obtain a new passport, they must apply in person and Form DS-11 must be completed and turned in. All passports for kids under the age of 16 are valid for 5 years. If you are 18 years or older and need to apply, then please visit the page on how to apply for a new passport for adults. Once you have all the required information and forms filled out, the next step is to find a location to schedule an appointment to turn in your application. You can use our search for passport offices page to find one that provides passport services nearby.

Provide Proof of US Citizenship

The parent(s) or legal guardian must submit one of the following US citizenship documents for the child. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged US passport (may be expired)
  • US birth certificate that was issued by the city, county, or state of birth, lists applicant's full name, date of birth, and place of birth. It must also list the parent(s) full names, has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth) and has the registrar's signature along with the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Citizenship

Photocopy of US Citizenship Evidence

You will also need to submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the proof of US citizenship you are submitting. Photocopies must be legible, on white 8.5"x11" standard paper. It also must be black and white and single-sided. If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which they will keep on file. If you don't submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing risks being delayed.

Show Parental Relationship

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport. The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • US birth certificate (also evidence of US citizenship)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (also evidence of US citizenship)
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

Please note, some documents, like a US birth certificate, show both US citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

Present Identification

The parents or legal guardians must present one of the following identification documents to the acceptance agent:

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license
  • Valid or expired, undamaged, US passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • US military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification)

Please note. if you present out-of-state identification, you must present an additional ID.

Photocopy of Identification

You must submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present to the acceptance agent. The requirements are as followed:

  • Photocopy must be on plain white, 8 1/2x11" standard paper
  • Photocopy cannot be double-sided
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it)

Show Parental Consent

Both parents or legal guardians must authorize the issuance of the child's passport. The best way to do this is for both parents or legal guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?
If Then
You have sole legal authority You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:
  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child's passport (photocopy is acceptable)
  • Certified copy of the child's birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person
One parent unable to appear If one parent or legal guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, then they will be able to give permission by completing Form DS-3053. You must submit the completed form with the child's passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must:
  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053
You cannot locate the other parent You must submit Form DS-5525.
  • Please complete the form with as much detail as possible
  • They may ask for additional information to protect against international parental child abduction
Neither parent able to appear A third party may apply for the child's passport with a notarized statement from both parents or legal guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.
  • The statement must include a photocopy of the parents or legal guardians identification
  • When the statement is from only one parent or legal guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent or legal guardian

Please note, written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must be less than three months old.

Provide a Photo for Passport

You must provide one photo of the child with the application. Please note, do not attach your photo to the form before submitting it to the acceptance agent. Some post office locations provide photo services for an additional fee. Below is a list of tips for taking photos of infants and newborns:

  • Lay the child on its back on a white blanket or sheet to ensure its head is supported without the aid of a hand
  • Alternatively, cover a car seat with a plain white sheet and take a picture of your child in the car seat
  • Please make sure no other person is in the photo
  • A photo with the child looking at the camera is preferred, although not required
  • To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements

Passport Fees

Below is a list of passport fees pertaining to a child applicant. To get the full list of fees check out the passport fees page.

Child Applications
Product Form Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $80 $35
Passport Card DS-11 $15 $35
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $95 $35

Please note, the application fee and the execution fee are paid separately.

Submit Your Completed Application

Once you have filled out all the proper forms and obtained all proper documentation, the next step is to submit your passport application. You will need to do so in person. Use our search for passport offices page to find a location that provides passport services.

If applying inside the United States you and your child must submit your completed application, including citizenship evidence, photocopy of ID, photo, and fees, in person at the post office location. If you are applying outside the United States then please contact your US Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your child's documents.

Can I mail in my child's application or apply online?

No, children applicants under 16 are not eligible to mail in their passport applications. Additionally, the Department of State does not currently have the option to submit passport applications online.

What if my child and I have different last names?

You and your child may have different last names, as long as the parental relationship document lists your full name. If your name has changed from that on the parental relationship document, please submit proof of your legal name change.